MECCA is dedicated to raising awareness of the historical, educational, recreational and natural value of the canal greenway. The association also serves as a clearinghouse for canal related events and information. It is MECCA's goal to be the representative voice of canal associated partners to local, state and federal government officials.
Additional goals include garnering grassroots support for an enhanced canal, strengthening canal partnerships, and seeing the Miami-Erie Canal designated as both a State and National Heritage Corridor.
MECCA is funded primarily by individual memberships. For more information about MECCA of current progress, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
MECCA shall encourage local, state, regional, and nationwide recognition of the Miami & Erie Canal Corridor by:
• Coordination and representing the interests of the citizens, corporate community, and government agencies in Allen, Auglaize, Miami, Shelby and Van Wert Counties, while extending both north and south of the current corridor to include other interested entities;
• Working toward establishing a continuous physical link along or near the existing canal corridor;
• Encouraging and assisting when able, the development of compatible economic ventures throughout the canal corridor;
• Developing strong working relationships with corridor paretners to preserve and interpret the natural, recreational, and historical resources throughout the corridor;
• Incorporating the needs and inititives of the local communities into the canal corridor plan through meetings with government and business leaders to enhance the quality of life along the corridor;
• Promoting and developing educational programs which interpret the natural, historical, and recreational resources along the canal corridor.